Gifts to Schools/Departments
Individuals, community organizations or school-related organizations (e.g., PTAs, Booster Clubs) desiring to make gifts to a school or department shall contact the building principal or department head. If the gift is deemed appropriate, the principal/department head shall request, in writing, approval of the superintendent to accept the gift. Such request should be made using the “Request for Permission to Accept” form (See KH-R-3) and will clearly state the purpose of the gift and the actual or estimated cost or value of the gift. Gifts made to any office, department or school of the district shall be considered property of the district. Gifts involving purchases by PTAs shall be subject to the “Purchase Procedures” listed below.
If the request is denied at the superintendent’s level, the organization or individual may appeal directly to the board of education for reconsideration of the request. The board reserves the right to accept or reject any gift or donation, including the right to return a gift or donation after it has been accepted.
Annually, on or before May 30, the principal/department head shall submit to the superintendent a listing of all gifts received during the year, from whom received, and their estimated/actual value. Gifts shall not be accepted if excessive costs of installation or maintenance would be involved, unless such costs are determined to be within certain budget limitations.
Upon request of the donor, the district will provide a letter acknowledging receipt of the gift.
PTA Purchase Procedures
- “Request for Permission to Accept” form is sent by principal to superintendent’s office for approval. Upon receipt of approval notice, PTA issues check, made payable to Walled Lake Consolidated Schools, for total amount of gift.
- Purchase order is completed using the following account number:
Fund Area Organ. Program Objective
100 Bldg # 0111(Elementary) 0010 7900
0112 (Middle School)
0113 (High School)
- Purchase order and check is sent to Purchasing Department in a Day-Glo envelope.
- Accounts Receivable Department will receipt monies and mail copy of receipt to building.
- If the invoice amount is greater than funds received for the gift, an invoice will be mailed to the PTA. On June 30, the balance in the account shall be “0”; if not, the building
account(s) will be charged.
Donations for Extra-curricular Activities
The board may accept donations from school-related or community organizations or private individuals or businesses earmarked to support extra-curricular activities.
The board reserves the right to control the conditions under which such donations are accepted and establishes the following criteria to determine the acceptability of such donations:
- Funds provided for support of specific programs must be received prior to the beginning of that program, and in sufficient time to permit proper planning for the institution of or continuation of the activity.
Funds for support or reinstatement of athletic programs may be provided on a seasonal basis;
- Funds must be provided in sufficient amounts so that equal opportunity and balanced programs for both boys and girls are provided;
- The control and administration of any programs supported through earmarked donations shall remain with the board and administrative staff. There shall be no restriction tied to the donation which would deny the board its right and responsibility in setting policy to control said programs as regular school activities;
- Individuals or organizations desiring to make donations earmarked
to support extra-curricular activities shall contact the building principal or department head. If the gift is deemed appropriate, the principal/department head shall request, in writing, approval of the superintendent to accept the gift. Such request should be made using the “Request for Permission to Accept” form (See KH-R-3).
- The purpose of the donation must be clearly stated in order to give full, concise and timely consideration to the offer;
- All donations, once received, shall be the property of the school district; and
- The board reserves the right to accept or reject any gift or donation, including the right to return the gift or donation after it has been accepted.